Skip to main content

The Peace That Passeth Understanding

 “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” — Philippians 4:7

The last two weeks have shown me this verse in a way I never fully understood before.

Grief is heavy. It shows up in quiet moments, in songs, in empty chairs, in routines that suddenly feel different. But even in the sorrow, God has been so faithful to remind me that I am not carrying this alone.

I have seen the hands and feet of Jesus through family and friends who have rallied around us. Through prayers, messages, hugs, food, phone calls, and simply people showing up when we needed them most. Sometimes comfort comes through words, and sometimes it comes through someone just sitting beside you reminding you that you are loved.

And somehow, even in the sadness, God keeps giving me little moments that make me smile.

A memory of Mom will suddenly pop into my mind. A phrase she used to say. A song she loved. A funny story someone shares at just the right time. It is almost as if God gently whispers, “She mattered. She was loved. And I am still here with you.”

The Bible talks about “the peace of God, which passeth all understanding” (Philippians 4:7). I can honestly say I have felt that peace in moments where I should have completely fallen apart. Not because I am strong, but because God has been carrying me through every hard moment.

I know healing means continuing forward one day at a time. And while grief does not disappear overnight, I also know God never intended for us to walk through sorrow without comfort, hope, and people beside us.

So today, I do not want this devotion to focus on my sorrow. I want it to focus on God’s goodness in the middle of sorrow. On the people who have reflected His love so beautifully these past two weeks. On the reminders that even in mourning, we are not abandoned.

God comforts His children.
Sometimes through His presence.
Sometimes through His peace.
And often through His people.

And for that, I will forever be grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...