Skip to main content

Waiting for My Ship to Come In



If you haven’t noticed yet there is a theme running through this series. January’s theme is actually encouragement. I want the whole month to work on that voice that says, “I can’t”. You may have also noticed a common thread in passages. The first two devotionals had passages from Philippians; this one will as well. I have different books of the Bible for different thoughts but my favorite book to look for encouragement is Philippians. It’s a short read, 4 chapters, but there is just so much there to help you press on.  I seriously read the whole book when I know I’m thinking negative thoughts.

This week I want to talk about the past. We have a tendency to not see the past as it truly was. We romanticize what our lives used to be, especially when we are having a bad day in the here and now. Last week, I committed myself to better self-care only to end up with a week of set-backs and sick days. It was so very easy to look back and say, “Last time I tried to do this, it was so much easier.” But when I really examine it, I know, that is a lie, brought down on me by the Devil. It is secretly sending that voice of “I can’t” without me even realizing it. 

Before Christmas, it seemed so many of my friends were struggling. This devotional series was already on my mind, so I tried to post some words of encouragement.  A very dear friend and mentor replied to remember that in a car, you have this huge windshield and this tiny rear view mirror. I love the object lesson there and if you ever look out your side mirrors, you know you are seeing a distorted image, designed to be able to see more of what is going on behind you at once. Again, seeing all of the good in our past all at once isn’t really how it normally happened. 

That all being said, we still need to remember our pasts, as they are what has helped us to where we are today—good or bad, it is part of our fabric. We do need to be careful though to not live in the past, or dwell on what our lives were like in our so called glory days. I find it easy to fall victim to this, but I have to remember that distorted view. Philippians 3:13-14 says, “Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.” (Message version)  I don’t think Paul is saying never think about our history, but not to let yesterday have an impact on today. If I had a setback yesterday, today is my chance to make it right. The rest of that verse says to keep your eye on the goal. That is really what our whole existence should be about, reaching for Him; reaching for everything He has set out there for us. 

So, I have clients that I say have “ship syndrome”. They are waiting for their ship to come in and then everything will be okay. I have to admit, I used to do that a lot too. Then it dawned on me. I DON'T HAVE A SHIP….. Before I can get that ship to come in, I have to build it. If it’s your self-image you are working on, that means taking care of you today. Don’t neglect yourself today, that puts a board on your ship. If it is money, see how well you can keep your budget today; that is another board on your ship. BUILD THAT SHIP.

One of my friends that I mentioned inspired this blog is getting ready for a marathon. She had a really hard run this week and seriously thought about quitting. She is running to raise money for breast cancer research. God turned her thoughts to those who couldn’t just quit as they battle this horrible disease. She did 25.9 miles at one time, which was her goal. Her last comment was she did it with lots of walking, and thinking, and praying.  She made the statement she wasn’t really built for this. She doesn’t really look like she could run a marathon. I beg to differ, Kiddo, and am so very proud of you. This week is now one of rejoicing for her instead of defeat. 

Always remember, even if you don’t have your plan in place, God does. Ask Him when you don’t know how you are supposed to tackle something. I have one last verse for today.
Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you” declares the Lord, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

There it is, He knows our ways, and we need to listen. 

I have a song for this week as well. Music is a huge part of my life and I feel like a simple song can sometimes do more than a half hour of preaching, teaching, reading, etc.
So, to take you on your way today, here is Point of Grace with How You Live. 

Remember to turn up the music, take a few chances, BUILD YOUR SHIP, and stop looking back thinking it was better then.







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...