Skip to main content

Leadership and Followership

Good Saturday morning! This is one of those weeks where I am up and at the computer, later than I wanted to be but I am finally here.

A big part of my week was spent at a leadership training. I always have such high hopes and aspirations when we head to these things. I usually learn a few things but I usually come away thinking, "huh, nobody really told me any big secrets that makes leading others just a piece of cake".  This was a very, very, good training though and I have probably brought back more personal growth than I have from anything in a long time.

One of the things that we did was write down our own leadership philosophy. This was a homework assignment, and as I sat in my hotel room that night and thought about it. I was able to come up with 8 things right now. We had studied Colin Powell's philosophy earlier that day, it had taken him 30 years to come up with this, I didn't think my 8 was bad for one night.

One of my 8 points stuck out to me, and has weighed on my mind the rest of the week. I wrote down that to be a good leader, you have to set a good example of being a good follower to those who are your leaders. We talked a lot about the teams that we actually lead and how to deal with different personalities, and agendas. To me, it was very encouraging that we had one very notable team and leader mentioned, Jesus and the apostles.  I have thought a lot about this as I was preparing for this weeks devotional.  So......

Our scripture this week is from Luke 6:13-16


13 And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;
14 Simon, (whom he also named Peter,) and Andrew his brother, James and John, Philip and Bartholomew,
15 Matthew and Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon called Zelotes,
16 And Judas the brother of James, and Judas Iscariot, which also was the traitor.

We actually got to talking about when you have someone on your team who isn't going the right direction, and is causing problems. That brought us to Judas. Yes, Jesus knew all along that Judas was going to betray him but I think a lot of people believe Judas was never a believer because he betrayed Jesus. I would love to say I am perfect and never betrayed a friend's trust, but at times in my life, especially when I was worrying more about myself, it has happened. So, to think that Judas was this all over bad person, I don't think that is the case. I think he is a classic case of putting ourselves ahead of Christ, and let's face it, we do it.  We went on to talk about how long you try to correct someone's actions and when it is time to let them go.
I can go on and on about the deep thoughts I have about Christ and Judas, but I will let you ponder those on your own today.

We got tons of resources from Jesus on how to live, but we also got many lessons on how to follow from the apostles. We watched a video about a guy at a music festival. He stood up and started dancing, all by himself. Then along came a second guy and started dancing, hereby referred to as the first follower. The first follower made the guy dancing a leader. Before too long, there were lots of people dancing and they now had a movement. 

I spend a lot of time focusing on trying to be a good leader, this week, I was reminded in a big way that I need to be a good follower and that the most important one to be following is Jesus. I was also reminded how easy it is to get off track, even though I am supposed to be following Jesus, sometimes I see myself veer off and get distracted, we know from Judas, that can get us in lots of trouble.

So, this week, the challenge is, ask yourself as you make decisions, am I following Jesus or am I following me?

I leave you with Jamie Grace's You Lead.

Hope you have a blessed week!




Comments

  1. Lots to think about here! The problem is always putting ourselves in the place of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots to think about here! The problem is always putting ourselves in the place of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I wrote this, I had another thought on just how many times a week (or a day, eek), that we betray Jesus. Glad He never gives up on us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...