Skip to main content

An Attitude of Gratitude

My Tale of Two Kitties

If you know me at all, you probably know we share our house with two cats and a dog. Today, I'm sharing a bit about the two cats.

Gibbs' story began on August 10th, 2014. Robert and a friend of his was out for a ride in the rain and saw a little mass laying in the road. Thinking it was a baby squirrel, and these boys being the fine young people they are, they stopped. Robert jumped out to get whatever was in the road, I believe the original intent was to see if they could get a baby squirrel back to its mom. When Robert grabbed the little ball, it was a kitten. The boys then took the time to look around for the momma or any other kittens and finally decided the little guy was all alone and that wouldn't do.

Ever since that day, Gibbs has never seemed to forget where he came from, how he was rescued and the fact that Robert and our family gave him a very different life than what he could have had. Needless to say, we are all sure if he would have been in the road much longer, his life would have ended that day.

The morning after Gibbs came to live with us, he snuggled up on my chest while I had quiet time, he purred, and cuddled and was quite content. He still does this, every morning. And I always get the impression that he is saying thank you for having him here and for loving him.

Jasmine was born at my mom's house, in a closet, with heat, and food, and a litter box. She lived there for 8 weeks and came to our house on the 6th of May. She has never been in danger, well, that she didn't put herself in anyway and she has never known what it was like to go without a meal. And there are times, many times, she is nothing short of a brat. There are times that I can almost feel her trying to communicate, "You chose me, you wanted me, and you got me, aren't you lucky???"

I swear she spends her days thinking of ways to get into trouble, to push the limits and to test me. Andrew is a pushover, so this isn't even about him. It is her and I that clash.

Unfortunately, I look back at my life, from the time I was little until, well, yesterday for that matter and realize, I am a lot more like Jazz than I am like Gibbs.

I had a friend once who said she thought that people who weren't raised in church but found God's love later had a greater testimony. I am afraid they may have a greater feeling of gratitude.  I know I get in a funk of hearing myself say to God, "I deserve better!" And the fact is, I don't, I don't deserve what I have, it is by God's grace that I even breathe and exist. God never promised us sunshine and roses.

I find myself telling Jazz, as she shreds the Kleenexes or the toilet paper, that until she finds a way to pay for stuff, she better straighten up. Wow, I am glad God never told me I had to find a way to pay for my sins. I couldn't do it, but Christ could and

He. Did.

 Ephesians 5:30 says, "Giving thnks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."


I told a lady this week that I believed our church was the very first place I ever ventured out to as a baby. So, I too, have never been laying in the middle of the road, in a rainstorm, wondering if I were going to live to see my next meal, if there were a next meal to be found. So, I feel I sometimes take my salvation for granted.

I actually had to look up how to spell "granted" just because I was having a mental block. But when I googled it, there was two phrases that has to be added to this post:





So, this week, I am challenging myself to be Thankful to God for EVERYTHING. There used to be a blurb on The Message radio that asked, "What if tomorrow you woke up with only the things you said thank you for yesterday". I take that to heart but need to dig deeper and really see what all God does for me on a daily basis.

I am leaving you with Matthew West's Anything is Possible. Partially because the woman whose story inspired the song shows us the gratitude of coming to Christ later and then because one of my best friends posted a picture yesterday of that very phrase and the song has been in my head ever since.

Please don't get me wrong, God created all of us and loves all of us, weather we have been a Chistian since we were little or found Him yesterday, I am just concentrating on that attitude of gratitude that we can all stand to remember a bit more often.

God: Turning messes to miracles since the beginning of time.

Happy Labor Day weekend!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...