Skip to main content

Being Rich

 Happy Saturday morning! Safely through another week. I have had a really awesome week. I got to spend the week at the National Energy Assistance and Utility Coalition (NEUAC) conference with around 700 other people who are in the business of helping people with their utility bills. I was officially elected to the governing board this week, which is something I have wanted to do for a long time but never really figured a girl from a town of 2100 people in Southcentral Illinois could accomplish. We also got to see a project that I had been involved in since last October get off the ground, a LIHEAP white paper that helps tell the full story of what LIHEAP does to help people and change lives. I don't know how many community action agencies there are nationwide, there are 33 in Illinois, so I would say several 100. One agency from little old Southcentral Illinois was featured in that publication and it was ERBA. Again, the overwhelming sense of gratitude when I look at the things God lets me be a part of and lets me accomplish. In my world, these are big things and it would be very easy for me to start thinking, "Look what I did!" but I always remember, this is what God is doing for me. This is a great way to move into today's Bible study. I honestly looked at where we were at and said to God, "I see what you did here". God's timing is perfect always.

So this week, we are looking at James 1:9-11

9 Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted:

10 But the rich, in that he is made low: because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away.

11 For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways. 

In verse 9, James is telling us that the people who do not have money but have a strong faith in God should rejoice in that relationship with God. Money isn't everything and those who do not have a lot but who do trust in God have a faith that I envy. I see a lot of people in this position, where they just barely have enough to scrape by and sometimes, that is with my help, which is why I was put on earth. I know very well, some of my seniors who survive because of a strong faith in God and the help our services provide. Several years ago, I was speaking at one of our senior centers and there was a lady I was sitting next to. She had gotten her meal, and two slices of bread. I watched her put her two pieces of bread in a little ziplock bag she brought with her, and then she wrapped her meat in a napkin, she then proceeded to eat all of her veggies and her desert. As we were visiting, I didn't ask her about what she was doing, but she was telling me how God was gracious enough to put her here because she had a hard time with groceries, but she would eat at the center, save the meat and eat it for her dinner and have the bread as toast for her breakfast. Things like this prompt me to want to butt in and try to change things for her but she hit the nail on the head, God provided this for her, and she is a lot more content than I find myself many times. That is faith.

So, my HEAR for this.

Highlight =Rejoice  Explain= That relationship with God really should be enough. Apply= I will work towards making my relationship and faith in Christ always be the most important thing in my life. Respond= Dear Lord, help me always know that absolutely every single thing I have comes from you and that you will ALWAYS take care of me. I do not need a ton of money, I need what you give me because I know if I put my trust in you and search for your will in my life, you will sustain every facet of my life. 

Let's move on to verse 10, here we see that word "But" to start it out, so now we are going to hear the flip side. Let's talk about people who are monetarily rich. One of the most misquoted verses out there is 1 Timothy 6:10. I hear people say, "Money is the root of all evil", the verse is actually the LOVE of money is the root of all evil" big difference. Verse 10 reminds us that those who are Christ's followers should remain humble in what they have because money can go away very quickly.  God can use a riches to rags story to help further the work of his kingdom. I had a meme on facebook this week that said, "Never sit so high that you belittle others cause God can flip the script anytime!" I have a lot of Christian friends who have money. I know there has been many others benefit from that as they very quietly use their money for God's work. This isn't just about money though, it is about the things God lets us do, and I have felt this very strongly this week as I have been in a postion to get a lot of recognition. We must always remember where every single things we have comes from.

Highlight=he is made low Explain= we are not supposed to get puffed up over what we have, we didn't get here ourselves, God let it happen. Apply, I need to remember to focus on the fact that there is nothing in the world more important or influential than my relationship with God. Respond= God has brought tears to my eyes several times this week over the life He is giving me. We have seen our share of bad times, and I know we will see more but right now, God is letting me be involved in life-changing good things and I am excited and humbled by His blessings. Respond= I cannot say thank you enough for what You are doing in my life, Lord. May I always use everything you give my to glorify You.

And then let's finish it up with verse 11. We go on to talk about the rich man who believes in his riches instead of God, this life is so fleeting, so temporary and we are only here for a short time. As Christians, we know, our entire point of being here is to make sure people know Jesus. I am an "actions speak louder than words" type of person. I want people to see Jesus in me. Many people I saw at this conference this week committed on my passion for my work. I wholeheartedly believe everything in my life, from losing my dad in childhood, to my mom being sick, to meeting Andrew, to raising Robert, all of this led me to where I was this week, sharing a deep passion for what I do with others. It is such a passion because I know I am doing what God put me on earth to do and I love it.  If we put our trust in anything outside of God, it will eventually crumble. This world, and everything in it is temporary. God is not, He is eternal.

So, the HEAR on this

Highlight=so shall the rich man fade away Explain= If a person is putting their faith in anything other than God, it will fade. Some may say, "but that man had money til the day he died", yes, he did, but did he have eternal life? or did he have eternal death? There is an eternity whether you go to Heaven or Hell, you are going one place or the other. Private message me if you want to talk about this. We are not all going to Heaven, Christ said, I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh to the Father except through me. Apply= I must check myself daily. I know everything I have is from Him, but I need to always remember that so I don't veer off and start thinking I am doing any of this, it is all Him. Respond= Lord, thank you for everything you give to us, and the things you let us do. Always help me make sure people know this is all you, not me. 

So, I hope everyone realizes it is not wrong to be poor, it is not wrong to be rich, it is wrong to turn away from God and let either one of those be your master. I have always heard (and because the money in the bank has never been in excess) that it is harder to not have money than to have lots of it. Somehow the struggles are probably realistically similar, poor people wonder how they are going to make money, and I am sure those who have money are going to worry about how to keep it, because we all know it is a very easy thing to spend.

Hope you all have a very happy weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...