Skip to main content

When "Thank You" Isn't Enough

 "And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." — Philippians 4:7

I am still working on thank you notes, so many people have done so many things for us in the last month, it has been overwhelming, and overwhelmingly comforting. There are seasons in life when the words "thank you" seem completely inadequate.

How do you thank the friends who sat beside you when your heart was breaking? How do you thank the family members who showed up without being asked? How do you express gratitude to people who carried part of your burden when you were too exhausted to carry it yourself?

The truth is, sometimes "thank you" isn't enough.

But perhaps that's because what we're really grateful for is something bigger than the people themselves. We are grateful that God placed them in our lives in the first place.

Every card, every hug, every meal, every text message, every prayer, every person who remembered my mom and remembered me—those are reminders that God never intended for us to walk through life's hardest valleys alone. He knew what we would need before we ever needed it, and He surrounded us with people who would become His hands and feet at exactly the right time.

Even more amazing is the peace He provides.

There is a kind of peace that makes no earthly sense. It doesn't mean the tears stop. It doesn't mean the loss doesn't hurt. It simply means that somehow, in the middle of the pain, God steadies our hearts. He reminds us that He is still good, Heaven is still real, and His promises are still true.

And while God welcomes our grief, He never asks us to build a permanent home there.

Scripture tells us, "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning" (Psalm 30:5). Joy does not dishonor the people we have lost. In fact, joy honors the God who gave them to us. Grief is a season, but joy is our destination.

The people we love would not want us trapped forever in sorrow. And our Heavenly Father certainly does not.

So today, I thank God for the people He has placed in my life. I thank Him for the peace that has carried me when I could not carry myself. And I thank Him for the promise that while grief may visit, joy will remain.

Lord, thank You for every friend, family member, and kind soul You have placed in my life. Thank You for the love that has surrounded me and for the peace that has held me together when I didn't understand how I could keep going. Help me cherish the memories of those I love while continuing to embrace the life You have given me. Teach me to honor them not only with my tears, but also with my joy. In Jesus' name, Amen.

"You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy." — Psalm 30:11 ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...