Skip to main content

Friends

So, if you are reading this on Saturday morning, I am actually on my way to Chicago for a girls day with 3 of my 4 best friends from high school. Since this month's devotions are on love, I thought I would explore the importance of our friends.

Friends are a priceless gift from God. Friends that have known you your whole life just share a bond that can't easily be explained.

I have shared before that my dad died young. My mom was 40 when she became a widow. She and my dad were inseparable and I though that was great when I was growing up; but when Dad died, it left Mom in a lonely state. When Andrew and I got married I was so shocked because she told me then: don't make the same mistake, you make time for your friends. I think we all went through those years of running after kids, and jobs and life to where it was harder to get together (We have 8 kids between the 5 of us) but now as the last of those kids are all seniors in high school this year, it is getting easier to schedule time to see each other again. We still haven't successfully gotten all 5 in the same place at the same time, but we will.

When you are an adult, and look for friends we seem to have a set of criteria. God tells us we should look for friends who won't lead us astray (1 Corinthians 15:33 says, "Do not be deceived: "Bad company ruins good morals") When we are little though, you pick someone and think, "Yeah, I like you" and away you go. It is amazing to me how much you keep having in common with those friends. I know this isn't always the case, but again, thanks to the technology we call facebook, I see so many childhood friends that are still close.

So, today, I am offering up a few verses to ponder.

The first is on how the Bible says we are to treat our friends.

Ephesians 4:29-32 says: 29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

These girls I am spending the day with have been my friends for over 30 years, one of them over 40 years (Wow, just realized that myself). You know kids fight and argue. We were typical, we all had our spats too, but we need to forgive and forget and walk on. As I have gotten older these four are such a great source of encouragement to me and I hope I am to them as well.

The next thing I want to look at is how to be a friend. The simple answer to that is to just be there. In our busy lives, just knowing someone cares enough to take the time to say, "how are you?" is a big deal.  I had a disappointing doctor's appointment this week. On my way home I got a text: "How are you doing? Hope everything is ok". It made me smile, it made my heart smile.  My thoughts on this is, when you are feeling led to reach out to someone, DO IT.

The last thing on my list is to treasure your friendships- they are truly gifts from God.

Proverbs 27:17  says; As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Proverbs 11:14 says: For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers.

Proverbs 77:17 says: A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.

I think God makes it pretty clear, he meant for us to lean on each other, and to cherish one another.

I know I have focused on my high school friends today, I have so many friends that I have picked up along my journey and they are all important to me. Friends from different places we have lived, friends from Robert's school years, and friends I have through work. Please understand, all these friendships are important.

So, I challenge you today to say a special prayer of thanks for those people God brought along beside you and then get ahold of them and let THEM know you are thankful for them.

And what could be more appropriate than Michael W Smith's Friends.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...