Skip to main content

Olympic Moments

I am one of those millions of people who do not watch many sports most of time. However, when the Olympics come along, I am mesmerized. In the Summer games, it is gymnastics that totally takes my attention, and in the Winter games, it skating. I watch the other events but those two are just raised to another standard.

I guess part of me has always wanted to be graceful and elegant,  okay, A LOT of me has always wanted to be graceful and elegant. Even as a kid, I was a klutz. As many times as I have fallen down in my life, it is a small miracle that I have never broken a bone. I was just reminded yesterday of tripping over my own feet in the parking lot of a hotel at Springfield. My less-than-a-month-old phone was the victim of that fall, right along with my ego. And, because of seeing awful things on facebook, and regrettably laughing, I now ALWAYS hope nobody got it on video tape.

But back to focusing on the Olympians. I watch them and think about how all of their young lives have been a focus on getting to this point. To this little tiny moment in time. I have watched videos and heard stories of things that people do that others seem to judge their whole lives on that couple of minutes of right or wrong. Yet, these kids are putting themselves out there and ASKING to be judged on a couple of minutes of their lives. Sometimes it is amazing, sometimes it is heartbreaking. In a lot of ways I really can't imagine working my whole life for one thing, for one moment. And then it hit me.

We should all be doing that...... Every moment of every day, we should be living our life for that one moment when we meet Jesus face to face. We have a race to run here on earth, that our reward will come when we reach Heaven. And today, I am challenging myself and you to start training for that day with the dedication of an Olympic athlete. I am inspired to leave it all on the floor, as I am sure those gymnasts have been told. Live your life to the fullest and do it with your eye on the prize, our eternal home.

That being said, just looking back on my week, I see things I wish I could change. Thing is, I can learn from those mistakes, ask God for more grace to do this better next time and move on.

All of this brings me to my verses for this week.

I am sure some of my Bible Scholar friends probably already know where I'm going this week.

1 Corinthians 9: 24-27

 24Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.









This week, instead of a song, I am leaving you with a short youtube video I have found. It is called Run the Race and I think it is just a good reminder of the race we should all be running.


Hope you all have a good week!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...