Skip to main content

Regrets

This has probably been on my mind more this summer than any other topic. I absolutely try to live a life without regret and then something slapped me in the face so strongly that I still fight tears every time I think about it.


I didn't take enough pictures of my life, more specifically, I didn't take enough pictures of my friends, and us, living our lives.


When we first moved to Newton, I immediately started going to the PTO and Band-Aides meetings at the elementary school. I met Glenna. She was president that year and was so excited I was there. There were several people at that first meeting as they were planning the spring carnival, I was really impressed that there were so many there. I had always been active in PTO at Olney and we struggled to have bodies, and minds, to get everything done. I thought, wow, this was great. It didn't last. In fact, the next year, we had one meeting that consisted of us being accidently locked out of the building; Steve had been refereeing and was going to be late. Glenna and I sat on one of the benches outside the school until Steve got there, it was a nice night, so we held our meeting right there. three of us.


Fast forward to high school, Robert's freshman year. My childhood church buddy, Amy moved home. Her son, Trygve, and Robert became fast friends. Amy joined our group as a regular band mom too. I had met Vaneta when we first moved to Newton, but she became more active in the Band Boosters that year, Glenna had known Vaneta for quite some time, as they went to church together. For the next four years, you could pretty well count almost any Saturday in September and October, there would be four spots on the bleachers taken up by the four of us, more often than not, in a little square, two in front and two in back. I was the one that had to go see the whole competition, so I very rarely chaperoned, but I saved the seats, so that we could all set together.


I realized a little too late, that we had all of these pictures of the band, from basically the same vantage point, but we had no pictures of us.


After Robert, Trygve, and Logan, Vaneta's son, all graduated, the four of us still managed to get together every few months and go have dinner. Glenna's daughter was older than the boys, but her son was younger, so she was still in the booster years, so she kept us up on what was going on.


We had gotten busy, and hadn't been together for a while, the last time we were all together was Vaneta's wedding. We should have taken a picture. Glenna was the one taking pictures. We were all there, but we just didn't do it.


Everybody thinks I am probably a facebook junkie, and I probably am. I am also on Linked In and I am just as bad about it as I am good with facebook. I go for weeks without checking it, but in May, I happened to have a notice that it was Glenna's work anniversary, so I just sent her a message and told her happy anniversary. She came back with a laugh and said she didn't even realize it was until she saw my text. We both said it had been too long and planned on catching up at Logan's wedding. The day of Logan's wedding, Amy and I were missing Glenna and Vaneta said she was in the hospital that she was having a brain tumor removed the next day and though it was serious, there were no indications that she wouldn't be fine. She died on the 16th of June. To this day it kills me that there is not a single picture of the four of us. Because these three women were such a big part of my life.


I have 4 sets of very close friends, my 3 closest friends from work, my 4 best friends from high school, my LIHEAP sisters, and my band mom friends. Most of the time when the other groups of us get together, it is a big deal, a special occasion, but when us band moms got together, it was just us living our lives.


In the past 30 days, I have gotten to spend time with most of these groups, I did miss Vaneta the day I went with Amy to the EIU band competition ( and didn't take a pictue of the two of us :-( ) but last weekend, I was with the LIHEAP sisters and made it a point. Today, I am seeing 2 of my four best friends and will also make it a point.


 I'm not really sure how "devotionally" this is, but I know God put people in our path and we are to treasure our friends. Proverbs 17:17 says a friend loveth at all times. I have had a couple in particular this summer that I have laid things on them that hasn't been easy and they have offered their input, their advice and it has been very thankfully welcomed.


But going forward, in this age where it seems like people get bashed for too many selfies, I'm begging you, take that picture, don't wait until you lose weight, or your hair looks better. Grab your friends and take that picture.


My mom pulled out a picture not long ago of two of her sisters and a friend of mine's mother-in-law. They are all gone now, but we knew they were connected by that picture.


So, instead of my song at the end. I am posting some of my favorite pictures of my friends and me.


Taken the day we went to visit Glenna in the hospital. Will treasure that day forever.

My LIHEAP sisters

My BFF's



My work BFF's









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...