Skip to main content

Balance

Happy Saturday morning!

We made it through another week, albeit the weather was a rollercoaster. We had icy weather Monday, the threat of which made me stay home from the gym for the first weekday this year. That was a hard debate. I hated losing that streak, but it was the sensible thing to do. I am very happy that I made it there faithfully the rest of the week and got my daily routines in, even though the crazy fog, so I trek on. 


I talked a little about my visions and goals for 2024 but thought I would share a bit more today. A few years ago, I spent time with a life coach, Teresa McCloy. I was in the height of taking the verse, "I can do all things...." literally. Somehow, I was in that, "She who does the most is happiest" stage and I was in such a people pleasing mode that I was not saying no to anything. I was working 3 jobs and on a dead run between all of them. Teresa introduced me to the fact that my life was lacking one huge thing- Balance. 

I was getting lots of things done for lots of people but there were things I wanted to do and I had it in my head that serving others was how I was most productive for God. At least one of the jobs I was doing was directly because I knew the person needed help and so I threw myself all in to helping them and ended up with a full-time job out of it, thing is, my career, that I honestly love, really is way more than a full-time job already, and I wasn't really getting to grow in it like I really wanted to.  

I was spending so much time doing those things that I was ignoring so many other aspects of my life. I had someone cleaning my house once a week at the time, but I had totally forgotten how much joy I have in doing this myself.  I love to sew, and hadn't done it in years, I have a new Cricut that hasn't been out of the box more than 3 times. (but in the last month, I have turned Robert's old room into a craft room, so that's gonna change!)

I was making sure to fit all the mandatory things in to tell myself life was balanced, I would schedule time with friends, schedule date night, but I also would go for weeks on end and never just get to be at home for 24 hours. And the bottom line was, when I admitted it to myself, I was tired. All the time. 

Ironically, my thoughts of serving God because of all the other people I was serving was actually getting in the way of my service to God. Things like this blog went on the back burner. Things like trying to find little ways to really show God's love to others was out the window. I really wasn't serving him that well at all and I wasn't doing myself any good either. Honestly, there were a lot of my life that was suffering because I was trying to do too much.

So, I started setting boundaries and found a good planner to help me see what I am really doing. I am not getting paid for this by Cleaver Fox, but I have had 4 Cleaver Fox planners now. I just gifted Robert with his first one this week. 

Yes, it is a daily planner, but it also helps you make sure you are balancing everything, my new one asks me weekly what I am doing for my spiritual growth, my relationships with friends and family, my love life, my personal development, and so on. Then at the end of the week, you get to write down lessons learned, how you can do better next week and your biggest wins. It makes you realize every day is a treasure. And it makes you evaluate each month and write down your biggest wins and lessons learned and do a balance wheel to see where you are at.

My point this week is there is a quote out there, actually I found out this morning it is from Dolly Pardon, "Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life". I don't feel I was in everything for the money, but I was truly putting off really living. 

So, this week, I want to tell you if you are caught in this trap, reevaluate. Are you really working for God when you are doing this, or are you working for the world? Romans 12:2 comes to mind, "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

So, I took the day off yesterday, went to the doc with my mom but also did all my running so hopefully to get a day at home today, straightening up my house, getting some music ready for church tomorrow, cleaning my stove, reorganizing my freezer and probably gonna plop myself on the couch this afternoon and find a good movie or book. I feel I am becoming a better me because I am taking better care of me. I have stopped believing that just because I am to put Jesus and Others first and myself last doesn't translate to just taking care of me when there is time. It is still a priority.

I am leaving you with one of my favorite songs, it is called Anymore by Cain.

In my very type A personality and I still struggle with everything I just said above. I think I should be able to do everything everyone wants me to do all the time. Thing is, I was letting all the busyness stand in the way of my relationship with God BUT the devil tries to tell me that I am slacking. This song reminds me that when you keep your eyes on Jesus, you are not slacking, you are doing His will, not yours. And He loves you for it.







 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...