Skip to main content

Take Up Your Cross

 Happy Saturday before Easter! We have had a wonderful three night revival at our church in preparation for Easter. We have had great messages, 1 from a young man that has become family in the last few years and 2 from people I have known literally my whole life. Growing up, there were three boys that lived next door. Thankfully, I was a huge tomboy and normally, wherever they were, there I was too. We had such a good childhood and we spent as much time at each other's houses as we did at home. One of those "boys" preached last night. It is funny, you know how you see those memes of people all grown up, but what you still see is that kid? That's me but it is in a good way. Our dad's are both gone, mine has been for over 45 years, and Jon's just a few years, but I couldn't help but think about our "cloud of witnesses" last night that was looking down watching me leading singing, and Jon preaching. I could see our dad's saying, "our kids are doing good for our Savior, and then probably talking about that reunion when we all join them someday. Jon's message really moved me and I am going to use part of it for my Bible Study. By the way, all of the messages are available on the Hidalgo Independent Christian Church Facebook page. 

Our Scripture today is Luke 9:23

Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 

Highlight= Take up their cross daily. Explain= When Jesus said this, He hadn't gone to the cross yet, but He knew He would. He was calling his followers to a life that mirrors His own, that of surrender, sacrifice and obedience. The cross wasn't comfortable, it wasn't easy. It was costly. And yet, Jesus still carried it. He showed us the ultimate sacrifice and how we are to die to ourselves to live for Him. He denied Himself in the garden. The scripture says, He asked that this might be taken away, this was the human part. He knew it wasn't going to be taken away. Thankfully, Jesus was God and loved us so much more than He loved Himself because He knew He had never done one single thing wrong in His life, yet He was dying for sin. Our sin. My sin. He carried that to Calvary and He did it willingly. The cross was not the end. It led to forgiveness, redemption and to resurrection. When Jesus calls us to take up our cross, He's not calling us to death without hope, He is calling us to a life through surrender. I believe one of the things we fail at miserably nowadays is truly giving our lives to God. We believe in Him, but we don't surrender to Him. Jon made the statement last night, I love Jesus but I still want this sin in my life. If you truly love Jesus, you should be doing two things, telling others and trying to find ways everyday to get that sin out of your life. That is dying to self, that is taking up your cross. Can you truly image the weight of the cross physically? Christ carried it up Golgotha's hill after being beaten horribly. It was heavy, extremely heavy and it held all the sins of humanity. Our cross only holds our sin. It is still heavy. Every time I fail, every time I don't get something done I say I can, every time I let someone go that I should have told about Christ. It's heavy. He carried it first. Apply= We need to really examine what we are still holding on to instead of surrendering to God. I will tell you three of my big ones: Robert and the alcohol addiction problems he has had. Me, and the food addiction problems I have had and money. There are more, these are the ones that I lay at Jesus feet, and as Jon showed last night, I lay it down, I get on my knees at the feet of Jesus and as I get up to walk away, I grab it back and take it with me. I will keep working on this. The rest of carrying our cross though is making sure others know about Him. I started this blog and my Faithful and Fit Foundations page to have a place to share about Jesus. I have never went down the monetizing route because I didn't want it to be about making money. That is not my plan, my plan is to tell others about Jesus. I have also found that since I have been doing this, He is in my conversation easier in person. The more time you spend with someone, the more likely you are to talk about your time with them when you are away from them. Ever notice that? Taking up your cross daily looks like putting God first instead of yourself, obeying even when it is uncomfortable. I struggle with this, I often hear myself saying to God, "you want me to do WHAT???" and then sharing your faith even when it's hard. On a side note, I have also found that since I have been doing the online ministry, I have had more opportunities to share a little glimpse of my faith in sometimes scary spaces where you don't really know the whole room that well, but it has worked out and I have been honored to share scripture with strangers. Something else Jon pointed out last night that has stuck with me. Jesus knew He was dying but He kept trying to get people to believe right up to the thief on the cross. Who in your life needs Jesus? You may be THE ONE that is supposed to lead them in that direction. Don't miss it.  Respond= Lord, Thank You for carrying the cross for me and giving Your life so I could have eternal life. As we remember Your death and celebrate Your resurrection, help me to truly follow You. Teach me to deny myself and take up my cross daily. Give me courage to live boldly for You and to share Your love with others. Show me who needs You and give me the strength to reach them. Remind me that every sacrifice I make for You leads to life and hope. I surrender my life to You again today. Amen.

I hope everyone has a happy Easter, our church services tomorrow at Hidalgo Independent Christian Church are 8:00 Sunrise service, 9:00 breakfast and 10:00 Worship. We would love you to come and join us. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you have been to church, or if you have never been to church. If you heard for one moment, "I want to go" then please, please join us. Jon made the statement last night there are a lot of people who go on Christmas and Easter and it is true, but one week can lead to another and another and another, so why not let tomorrow be the start. If you want to try us out first, join us for our Facebook live at 8 and 10, and of course, you can watch our previous services as well as all three revival services on the Facebook page as well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...