Skip to main content

The Job Description

 Good morning! Happy Saturday! This has been quite a week for me, lots of ups and downs, lots of work to get done, both at the office and at home and reality, it really was just a normal week with different circumstances. Funny enough, the same as always.

I had to do an evaluation on one of our staff this week and it led me to wonder about what God's evaluation of me would be. One of the first things we do in evaluation is show the employee the job description as that is what you are being evaluated on, so I got to thinking, "What would God's job description look like?" I was drawn to two passages, a verse in Micah and a passage in Matthew. I am one of those "whole Bible" people who believes that both Old and New Testaments are relevant to our lives. I believe God would not have given us the Old Testament if He wasn't planning on us learning from it. So, without further ado, here we go:

Micah 6:8

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Highlight= Walk justly, love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. Explain= The people of Israel had become focused on outward religion while neglecting obedience and compassion. Through the prophet, Micah, God cuts through the noise and makes His desire clear. Act justly, or live honestly and fair. Do what is right, even when it hurts, or feels uncomfortable.  Love mercy, don't show it reluctantly, love it. Be compassionate, forgiving, patient, and kind. And walk humbly with your God. Stay close to God, depend on Him daily, go to Him first when you have a problem, not last. This is the true job description of a believer.  Apply= I have a close friend who is going through a situation right now with a coworker. The coworker mouths off and is just trying to make life miserable. There are things that the coworker does that could be pointed out by my friend, but my friend said that wasn't what God wanted from him, instead, he prays daily for the coworker and the anger and animosity in his heart. This is the epitome of act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with God. 

So, now, some of you are already saying, Where is the "tell others about Christ" in this. Of course we are to tell others about Christ but the thing is that is "talking the talk", What was mentioned about is Walking the Walk. The whole thing about action speaking louder than words? Here it is. You can tell people about Christ until you are blue in the face but if you don't walk the walk, people will think you are a joke. 

So, let's break out a bit and put down those points for a little "self evaluation".

Ask yourself:

Am I treating people fairly and with integrity?

Do I enjoy showing mercy, or only offer it when forced?

Am I walking humbly with God, or trying to control everything myself (yeah, this one is my below average marking for sure!)

Does my faith show up in everyday actions?

Matthew 22: 37-40 reinforces this but from the New Testament. "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind'. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hand on these two commandments."

Respond= Lord, thank You for making Your will clear. Help me do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly with You. Let my faith be more than words, let it be seen in how I live and how I love others. Shape my heart to reflect Yours. Amen.

So, I challenge you to act upon your self-evaluation today and pick the area you feel God is telling you "needs improvement" and act on it!

~Mindy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...