Skip to main content

Training for the Race

 Happy Saturday again, man, the older I get, the faster these weeks go. Here we are again. This last week has been a crazy one and this next week is going to be too, two totally different things though. I am in the middle of trying to move to a different office so my normally very organized, clean office is barely walkable, then I spent Tuesday in a training, Wednesday presenting a training and Thursday playing catch-up and be ready to be out of the office for a week both. Yesterday was officially a day off to get organized for my trip, but I wound up working a lot of it anyway. So, today, we are off on our monthly family day but making it an early enough day to get home to finish packing. I ordered a new suit for my Capitol Hill meetings, it was supposed to be here Wednesday, then yesterday and it still isn't here. Anyway, just add a little stress in there. I also started officially training for a new 5K this week Getting started back to training reminded me that we are all in training for God's race too, so that is where I chose to go today.

We are going to look at 1 Timothy 4:7-8

7 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. 8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.


Highlight= Train yourself to be godly. Explain= This morning, I officially registered for my next 5K, April 4th is race day. The registration made it real, no more "I might". No more "I will think about it" It's on the calendar. And because it's real, training has started. That means showing up when I don't feel like it, running when it is inconvenient, building endurance gradually and trusting the process. Paul uses this same language for ministry. He doesn't say drift into godliness, he says TRAIN. Just like I can't wake up on April 4 and magically be ready for a 5K, we can't expect to be spiritually strong without consistent training. Ministry isn't fueled by inspiration alone, it's built by discipline. Prayer is training, scripture is training, serving when it is hard is training and persevering when your tired is training. Apply= This week as I've started running again, I've been asking myself where I am training with consistency and where am I coasting? Am I building endurance with in my faith? Strengthening spiritual muscles? Preparing for what God has ahead? Race day doesn't create fitness, it reveals it. Training for a 5K reminds me that small, consistent effort builds capacity over time, physically and spiritually.  Respond= Lord, As I train my body for this race, help me keep training my heart for your ministry. Build endurance in me, not just for miles, but for calling. Help me show up consistently, even when it's hard. Prepare me for what You have ahead. Amen.

I also love the last of this passage that talks about "holding promise for both the present life and the life to come". No matter what is going on here, we have a future that is so bright I can't even imagine it. If you know what I am talking about, take a second to thank God for that eternal life, if you don't, PM me, we need to talk. :-).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Joy Again

 Happy last Saturday of 2025. I am actually quite happy to see this year come to an end. I am a firm believer that every day is a new beginning but sometimes we need the gift of a new calendar starting and to be able to close the door on the past. This has been an incredibly rough year in so many areas. There are years that things may be rough at work, but not so much at home or with friends, and vice versa, this year, the hard times seem to be coming from every direction. Last night, I was visiting with Robert about having joy. He made the statement that I always seem to have joy and I hadn't really thought about it but I realized he was right. I am definitely not always happy, but joy is not happiness. I feel joy is that ultimate peace and contentment that can only be found through that strong, stable relationship in Jesus.  Psalms 16:11 says, "You make know to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy". I decided as this year ends and the new one b...

My Jesus- The One Who Was and IS

 What a long week! It has been a good one though. We had our Christmas Revival at church and though I hate that I believe the cold whether kept many away, and I even had some work stuff that kept me away one night, I believe it better prepared our hearts for the celebration of Christ's birth. Today Andrew and I are celebrating our 34th Wedding anniversary, I joked around that yesterday we celebrated the 34th anniversary of being engaged. Yes, I was officially engaged for about 15 hours before we were married. We have big plans, we are heading to St. Louis today and then tomorrow morning, at 7:15, Andrew is going to cheer me on running the Hot Chocolate 5K. Then, we are planning on going to a church that I met the Pastor and his wife on a flight to Seattle. Life is definitely an adventure. Today, I wanted to continue my Christmas journey and I want to spend one more week in the Old Testament. We sing songs about Christ's birth being "foretold", I thought we would look ...

Money, Money, Money

 Good morning everyone, Happy Saturday. I hope everyone has had a good week. This has been another very hard week as we buried my friend and boss, Cathy Feltner. There have been some definite ups though as Robert got his first paycheck at his new job and I got to spend the day with my momma yesterday celebrating her 86th birthday and then today, my sister is coming and we are celebrating today too (which is actually Mom's birthday). We are digging into the last chapter of James today and again, I am amazed at how practical James is for our lives today even though the book was written very close to 2000 years ago (most scholars estimate it was written between 45-62 AD). So let's dig in! James 5: 1-6 Look here, you rich people: Weep and groan with anguish because of all the terrible troubles ahead of you.   2  Your wealth is rotting away, and your fine clothes are moth-eaten rags.   3  Your gold and silver are corroded. The very wealth you were counting on will ea...