background

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Olympic Moments

I am one of those millions of people who do not watch many sports most of time. However, when the Olympics come along, I am mesmerized. In the Summer games, it is gymnastics that totally takes my attention, and in the Winter games, it skating. I watch the other events but those two are just raised to another standard.

I guess part of me has always wanted to be graceful and elegant,  okay, A LOT of me has always wanted to be graceful and elegant. Even as a kid, I was a klutz. As many times as I have fallen down in my life, it is a small miracle that I have never broken a bone. I was just reminded yesterday of tripping over my own feet in the parking lot of a hotel at Springfield. My less-than-a-month-old phone was the victim of that fall, right along with my ego. And, because of seeing awful things on facebook, and regrettably laughing, I now ALWAYS hope nobody got it on video tape.

But back to focusing on the Olympians. I watch them and think about how all of their young lives have been a focus on getting to this point. To this little tiny moment in time. I have watched videos and heard stories of things that people do that others seem to judge their whole lives on that couple of minutes of right or wrong. Yet, these kids are putting themselves out there and ASKING to be judged on a couple of minutes of their lives. Sometimes it is amazing, sometimes it is heartbreaking. In a lot of ways I really can't imagine working my whole life for one thing, for one moment. And then it hit me.

We should all be doing that...... Every moment of every day, we should be living our life for that one moment when we meet Jesus face to face. We have a race to run here on earth, that our reward will come when we reach Heaven. And today, I am challenging myself and you to start training for that day with the dedication of an Olympic athlete. I am inspired to leave it all on the floor, as I am sure those gymnasts have been told. Live your life to the fullest and do it with your eye on the prize, our eternal home.

That being said, just looking back on my week, I see things I wish I could change. Thing is, I can learn from those mistakes, ask God for more grace to do this better next time and move on.

All of this brings me to my verses for this week.

I am sure some of my Bible Scholar friends probably already know where I'm going this week.

1 Corinthians 9: 24-27

 24Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.









This week, instead of a song, I am leaving you with a short youtube video I have found. It is called Run the Race and I think it is just a good reminder of the race we should all be running.


Hope you all have a good week!!






No comments:

Post a Comment