background

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Suitcases

One of the main things I have to do today is packed to go to Springfield. If you have known me long at all, you know I'm getting ready to go to my favorite conference of the year. This is mainly because of the family of distinction banquet that will happen tomorrow night. This is the night when we honor some of our biggest successes from the past year. Most of these people have work themselves right out of needing our assistance. Some have found their dream jobs, some have went back to school and are still exploring all the opportunities they never believe they would have, and some have even started their own businesses, their own successful businesses.

As I get ready to pack I think about the song Suitcases by Dara Maclean. I know you probably get tired of hearing this, but it is one of my favorites. This song is all about dropping life's heavy burdens and giving them to Jesus. I have to tell you as much as I enjoy the conference and enjoy getting to go, one of the things I dread is dragging those suitcases around. Usually, because as hard as I try I end up with three or four bags for a three day trip.I truly get the part of the song that says you can't run when you're holding suitcases.

Sometimes we have a habit of carrying around our past like big ole suitcases, things that we have already asked the Lord forgiveness for, and already received forgiveness, the devil keeps dredging up. There have been days just this week that he has made me feel really bad about myself. But Jesus tells us to put down those burdens, Matthew 11:28 says: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." The hotel I will be at this weekend, you have to go to the second floor to register- they have escalators but still, you drag your bags from the car, then into the lobby, then up the escalator, to the registration desk, get your key, then get on an elevator and go up to your room. By the time I get there, with my big bag, my little bag, my computer bag, and my purse, I am SO ready to not be carrying them. I don't think we always realize, life's suitcases can wear us down just as much.

It's not until you truly learn to hand your problems to Jesus, that you physically feel that relief. I have gotten to see that flood of relieve wash over clients before. I have seen one little instance, like an unexpected hospital stay, or car repair turn into a major burden for our clients. With my job, this results in a utility bill that they have not been able to pay. When I tell them that we have taken care of it, more times than not., you can just hear the relief in their voice. I made the statement a few weeks ago that one sincere, " God bless you" can make my day. It is a good feeling to know He had used me and my job to make someones life better.

On that note, I want to remind you that the Bible also tells us to carry each others burdens. Galatians 6:2 says: "Carry each others burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." So as not to take this out of context, let me tell you what this is talking about. Verse 1 tells us that if we see someone going astray, we are to help them get back on track. It seems to me like there are Christians that get this in the wrong perspective anymore. They see this as an opportunity to tell others what they're doing wrong. I don't believe for a second that is what God means for us to do. I also think God thought that might happen. In Luke 11, Jesus is talking to the Pharisees. These were the so called religious leaders at the time who were much more concerned with building their own reputation and stature than that of following God's plan. In verse 46, He says, "And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them." Yep, I am afraid I see Christians doing this every day. It is so easy to judge other people, and to top it off, it makes their lives seem better for a bit. This drives me nuts! 

I believe the first thing you should do when you see someone going astray is pray. Pray for them and pray that God will help you see the right way to help. Do you see a friend who is starting to go places and do things that aren't really the best thing for a Christian to be doing? How about instead of telling them about it, invite them to do something with you? Don't mention what else they've been doing unless they ask. It is easy to tell someone they are doing it all wrong when that's all you got to do. Let me give you an easy example. Let's look at a elementary student solving a math problem. The first time he tries, the teacher says, "no,that's wrong, you need to do it right" and then walks away. The child has no idea what he is doing wrong and so he does it again; and again, the teacher comes back and tells him he is wrong and walks away. Because the teacher never offered him any direction, he just continues to do the problem wrong. After a while, he doesn't even remember he was doing it wrong and just considers it must be okay. On this example it is very easy to see, the teacher is really the one doing it wrong. So if you are seeing your friend doing something wrong and all you provide them with is, "you are wrong" what good did it really do? 

I have learned that I am much more blessed helping people than I think I could ever be looking down on them.

Even though our grants are government based and we are not a religious organization, I will tell you, many of my friends I work with throughout the state are Christians. We all feel that calling to help others be their best. At the same time, this group helps me be my best too.

This week my challenge to you is to help carry those burdens and to complete the picture, all we really need to do is help others carry their burdens TO JESUS. He will take them, 

My final verse:  1 Peter 5:7 "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you."

He cares for you, and your neighbor, and that person down the road. And he wants us to help carry their suitcases to Him too. 

So here is the song. I love this song....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment